tnrkitect: (Default)
[personal profile] tnrkitect
Last Friday I took the second exam of the seven required for architectural licensure. This one was on Site design, and I feel pretty good about it. However I will not know for certain until the results arrive in 3-6 weeks. I have the remaining 5 test scheduled and paid for, with my last test scheduled for Monday June 15th.

Assuming that I pass them all, this should result in being granted a license by the State of TN at their August board meeting. :-)

The rest of the weekend was spent dealing with garden stuff.

Jessica and I have planned a small veggie garden for the only sunny spot in our back yard. We spent Saturday going around to the local garden centers in search of seeds and advice. We figure that, where possible, it is better to buy locally, as the local centers will be selling varieties that will do well in this specific area. We still put in a good sized order with some of the seed / plant catalogs, but we purchased most from locals.

We are planning on growing spinach, two types of tomatoes (cherry and a larger type), green onions, garlic, cucumbers, okra, strawberries, some Gray Sugar Bush Peas (the garden center was out of sugar snap peas, and recommended these as being comparable), and we are putting in some asparagus, blackberries and raspberries, knowing that the asparagus will not be harvestable until next year at the earliest, and the berries will produce better next year.

We decided against going with raised beds this year, as I did not have the time to build the frames due to studying, so instead we are going with an in ground garden. We are locating the beds in the same place as we will have raised beds in the future, so this years garden will only help make next year's even better. We also obtained a truck load of compost from a local landscaping company, which we plan on tilling into the beds when we prep them.

Unfortunately, our plans to till them yesterday were stymied by the tiller. We were given a very good craftsman tiller by her parents. Unfortunately, the gas tank and carburetor has old gas in it that had soured, or gone skunky. I cleaned the gas tank, replaced the fuel line, and attempted to clean the carb. Sadly, the carb was shellacked and corroded enough that it refused to work, so I had to buy a new carb for it off the web. It should arrive this week, and will be simple to install, so I will be able to till the beds next weekend.

While I was fighting with the tiller, Jessica was busy getting some of the seeds started in so we can transplant seedlings in a few weeks. Rather than spending the money on peat moss trays, we are using the center tubes from toilet paper and paper towels. We cut them into sections about 2 1/2" long, crease them so that they form a box-like shape, cut flaps in one end, and fold them together top form a bottom. Once the seedlings are ready to transplant, we will stick them in the ground, tube and all.

So, we have been busy, busy!

Date: 2009-03-09 05:40 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] leenah.livejournal.com
i love the non-peat-pots you've come up with!

we got snow today. no fresh off the vine tomatoes for QUITE a while yet. sigh. not that i can grow them myself even, no sunny spot.

Profile

tnrkitect: (Default)
tnrkitect - Musings of an Unconventional Mind

June 2011

S M T W T F S
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 23rd, 2017 08:09 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios